Last updated on 20th December, 2014
Welcome to Apprentice Alf’s blog
This blog is intended to help anyone looking for free and simple software for removing DRM from their Kindle ebooks, stripping DRM from their Adobe Digital Editions ebooks, getting rid of DRM from their Barnes and Noble ebooks, freeing their Kobo ebooks of DRM, deleting the DRM from their Sony eBooks, or decrypting their Fictionwise eReader ebooks.
If you want to find out more about ebooks, DRM and why you will probably want to remove the DRM from your ebooks, see this post: Ebook Formats, DRM and You — A Guide for the Perplexed
If you already know that you want to strip the DRM from your ebooks, you’ve found the right place.
To get started on removing DRM from your ebooks, just download the tools archive from one of the links below. Unzip the archive, and start reading.
The download link is the grey button. Uncheck the box “Use our download manager and get recommended downloads”
- Do not click on the advert on the right-hand side of the page, even if it says “DOWNLOAD NOW”.
- The download will be a .zip file. If your download is a .exe file do not run it, as you have downloaded the download manager. Make sure that the check box is unchecked
- No credit card or payment of any kind is required to download the tools.
- If you are worried about the integrity of the tools, listed below is the MD5 checksum.
Changes in 6.1.0:
- Fix plugin multiple import problem
- Ftypo in stand alone Mac tools
- New help file B&N keys
Changes in 6.0.9:
- Add compatibility for QT5
Changes in 6.0.8:
- Fixes invalid topaz files
Changes in 6.0.7
- Fixes wine key creation folder issue.
- Fixes DeDRM of PDFs with broken metadata.
Changes in 6.0.6:
- Fixed up an incorrect function call. (Only relevant Linux Calibre users using Wine)
Changes in 6.0.5:
- Fixed a problem that resulted in key issues (thanks, Paul)
Changes in 6.0.4:
- Fixed a problem in the plugin converting earlier preferences (thanks, enno)
- Fixed a problem in the plugin with importing pdb files (thanks, Tina Bird)
- Fixed a problem with unicode characters in path names for the Mac application (thanks, K)
Changes in 6.0.3:
- Fixed a problem with non-ascii characters in Windows user name
- Fixed a problem early versions of Kindle for Mac
- Fix for location of DeDRMed PDF files with Macintosh DeDRM Application
- Fix in Windows DeDRM application for paths with spaces
- Restored ability for calibre plugin to call wine for Kindle for PC decryption key
- Added ability for calibre plugin to call wine for Adobe Digital Edition key
- Hopefully removed any dependency on tinter (although still used if available).
- Updated the readmes
Getting Help with the Tools
If you have any questions about the tools, ebooks and DRM, check my FAQs post Frequently Asked Questions about the DRM removal tools.
If you have any problems with the current tools, please ask for help in a comment on this post. If you are having a problem with an older version of the tools, please first update to the current version, and see if that solves your problem.
Before commenting here, please check the ReadMe file and the FAQs (see link above).
In any bug report or help request, please include
- which tool was used
- which OS you are using
- where the ebook file came from (device or folder)
- any error messages
- a log of the DRM-removal attempt (see the FAQs on how to get a log).
Please only use this application for gaining full access to your own ebooks for archiving/converson/convenience. De-drmed ebooks should not be uploaded to open servers, torrents, or other methods of mass distribution. No help will be given to people doing such things. Authors, retailers and publishers all need to make a living, so that they can continue to produce books for us to read. Don’t be a parasite.
Origin of the Tools
They have since been improved by many people, but mostly some_updates, DiapDealer and Apprentice Alf. While there are many sites that redistribute these tools, the most up-to-date versions of the tools are currently released here.
Anyone trying to sell you ebook DRM removal tools for Adobe Adept ePub and PDFs, Barnes & Noble ePubs, Kindle ebooks or eReader ebooks has probably just repackaged (an earlier) version of the tools available here.